Moving an office or home is an exciting time, but it also can be stressful. CTI Technology is currently planning our move to accommodate our growing business. If your company is planning on moving in the future and are wondering what technology tasks are required, we have compiled an IT checklist. Avoiding downtime in your business operations is key to ensuring a smooth transition.
Don’t we wish that moving our computers and other IT equipment was as simple as disconnecting and then reconnecting them, but it is not. This side of your move should be handled by your experienced IT staff or an IT service provider like CTI.
Once you have found your new office space, here are a few required technology tasks that need to be addressed:
- Determine the locations for your workstations, server room, printers and other IT equipment.
- Do you have a server room? Be sure to check that the electrical, cooling, and security requirements are met. It should be in a centralized location in order to avoid cabling issues. Verify that the equipment has a proper ground.
- Evaluate your cabling needs – making the right decisions in regards to your cabling now can help you avoid costly upgrades later. Is the infrastructure suitable for your business needs currently and in the future?
- Internet, email, firewall configuration, data backup, VPN and VOIP setup are all items that need to be addressed and taken care of.
- Order your voice and data circuits as this can take up to 30 days. Ask about porting your phone numbers to the new location.
- Beware of published applications that require static IP addresses. There is nothing worse than losing your website or email for a few days.
- Double-check that you have the right insurance to cover your IT equipment during the move.
- Update your website with the new address.
Moving is a great time to address your IT needs especially if they have been put on the backburner.
- Have you outgrown your current phone system or will you in the next 3-5 years?
- Is it time to replace old PCs, printers, and other office equipment?
- Is your software out-of-date? Should you update your current operating system?
CTI Technology has been helping our clients with their IT service needs for 10 years, if you have had any problems with this checklist – give us a call today for an IT consultation.